Meetings, Events, News – Your Voice Counts!
Meetings and events
The abolish the SHSAT New York State Senate Bill S1415 has been referred to the New York City Education Committee on January 23. John Liu is the chair of the standing committee.
Contact current members of NYC education committee:
Contact details for hosts of prior discussions about the SHSAT:
Learn about the DOE’s proposed changes to the SHSAT
Read the DOE Specialized High School Proposal to understand the proposed changes, which are intended to increase the numbers of Black and Latinx students in Specialized High Schools (SHS). These changes include:
- Expanding the Discovery Program (a summer enrichment program) to 20% of seats offer by each SHS
- Eliminating all SHSAT test-only admissions within 3 years
- Making SHS offers to the top 7% of students at each DOE public middle school
Learn how these proposals will affect Stuyvesant and other SHS
Timeline of events
- Ongoing presentations of proposed changes by DOE in school districts.
- January 2019: New legislative session starts in Albany, NY, when the proposed bill to eliminate SHSAT will be brought up to the floor for a vote.
- Spring 2019: High school offer letters distributed; Eligible students are notified of their participation in the expanded Discovery Program.
- Summer 2019: Discovery Program sponsored and conducted by Specialized High Schools.
Opportunities to express your opinion
What do these proposed changes mean for our current and future students, our schools, communities, and our city? If you have an opinion, express it to your representatives now – your school PA, SLT, and NY State representatives. There are many opportunities to learn more, to listen to others, and to express your opinion. Go to CEC meetings, forums, town halls, and contact or visit NY State reps in Albany.
Email your SLT and PA representatives
Contact your NY State Assembly Member and Senator
Identify your New York State assembly members and senators and reach out to them to express your opinion on the proposed changes to the SHSAT, and find out what their stand is.
How to find your NY State Assembly Member (NYS Assembly website search form, input your address)
How to find your NY State Senator (NYS Senate website search form, input your address)